- Hearing aids lower the chance of dementia, depression, and falling September 15, 2019
A recent study concludes that wearing hearing aids is associated with later onset of dementia and a reduced risk of anxiety, depression, and falls.
- Migraine may raise dementia, Alzheimer's risk September 10, 2019
New research finds a 'significant' association between a history of migraine and various forms of dementia, and Alzheimer's disease in particular.
- What to know about raspberry ketones September 6, 2019
Raspberry ketones are the compounds that give raspberries their smell. Some people believe that they provide health benefits. Learn about the possible uses and side effects of raspberry ketones here.
- What side effects can fish oil cause? August 31, 2019
Fish oil supplements contain healthful omega-3 fatty acids. These dietary fats are available in fresh fish, as well, but too many may lead to unwanted or even dangerous side effects.
- Eye tracking tests may predict Alzheimer's risk August 27, 2019
Eye tracking tests help to distinguish between two subtypes of mild cognitive impairment and their respective risks of becoming Alzheimer's.
- Mild cognitive impairment: Meditation can boost brain health August 26, 2019
New research suggests that mindfulness meditation can help boost brain health and improve cognitive reserve in older adults with mild cognitive impairment.
- Could targeting variants of this gene help fight Alzheimer's disease? August 21, 2019
Researchers have found variants of a gene that influence Alzheimer's disease risk through their effect on a cerebrospinal fluid protein.
- 'Spontaneous chemistry' may drive Alzheimer's August 20, 2019
A new study asks whether subtle changes to the chemistry of proteins might explain why they build up in the brains of people with Alzheimer's.
- Dementia risk: The role of 'blood pressure patterns' August 19, 2019
A new study investigates the importance of fluctuations in blood pressure from mid-age to later life. It asks how these changes relate to dementia risk.
- Alzheimer's in women: Could midlife stress play a role? August 19, 2019
New research suggests that experiencing a stressful life event may detrimentally impact older women’s memories and put them at risk of Alzheimer's disease.
- Alzheimer's: Death of key brain cells causes daytime sleepiness August 18, 2019
According to a new study, the buildup of toxic tau protein in key areas of the brain leads to major brain cell loss and daytime sleepiness in Alzheimer's.
- How to improve your memory: 8 techniques to try August 15, 2019
Brain function and memory naturally decline slightly as a person ages, but there are many techniques people can use to improve memory and prevent its loss. Learn about them here.
- Social activity in your 60s may lower dementia risk by 12% August 15, 2019
One of the most reliable studies of its kind has tracked participants over a 28-year period and found that greater social activity can lower dementia risk.
- Blood test can identify Alzheimer's 2 decades before symptoms August 12, 2019
A new study showcases a blood test that identifies beta-amyloid proteins — a hallmark of Alzheimer's disease — 20 years before any symptoms of dementia.
- 7 'simple' steps for heart health may also stave off dementia August 8, 2019
New research examines the link between heart health at 50 years of age, and the risk of developing dementia 25 years later, on average.
- Alzheimer's: Researchers create model to predict decline August 6, 2019
Researchers have developed a new machine-learning model that they suggest can accurately predict a person's Alzheimer's-related cognitive decline.
- 'New wave of Alzheimer's research' looks to the liver for clues August 2, 2019
Specialists call for a more holistic approach to Alzheimer's research, taking in the brain's relationship with other organs, including the liver.
- Could dementia and anemia be linked? August 2, 2019
A new study has found a strong association between anemia and dementia. People with either high or low hemoglobin levels had a higher risk.
- Study links higher body weight later in life to faster brain aging July 25, 2019
A new study has found a correlation between having a higher body mass index and waist circumference later in life, and a faster rate of brain aging.
- Is spicy food linked to dementia risk? July 24, 2019
According to a large new longitudinal study, people who eat a lot of hot chili in their daily diet may have a higher risk of cognitive decline.