- Could estrogen help treat Parkinson's? August 13, 2019
Several studies have hinted at the neuroprotective effects of estrogen. A recent study in mice looks at how it might defend against Parkinson's disease.
- How a gut infection might spark Parkinson's July 19, 2019
Scientists are still unpicking the processes involved in Parkinson's. A new study ties together bacterial infection, mitochondria, and the immune system.
- What are the side effects of amantadine? July 3, 2019
Amantadine is a drug that helps treat Parkinson's disease. This article takes a close look at the side effects of amantadine, which can range from mild to severe.
- Could this newly discovered protein help treat Parkinson's? July 3, 2019
Researchers have identified a protein that could reduce toxic aggregations in the brain. Their finding could lead to new therapies for Parkinson's disease.
- Scientists track Parkinson's journey from gut to brain in mice June 26, 2019
In a mouse model of Parkinson's disease, scientists can now track the journey of toxic protein from the gut to the brain via the vagus nerve.
- These common drugs may increase dementia risk June 25, 2019
Drugs that doctors often use in the treatment of overactive bladder, gastrointestinal conditions, and depression may increase dementia risk by almost half.
- Gut bacteria can alter how well a medication works June 22, 2019
New research uses the example of a Parkinson's disease drug to show how gut bacteria can influence the efficacy of certain medications.
- How ultrasound could help curb Parkinson's June 10, 2019
Mouse study shows that focused ultrasound and injected microbubbles can help curb early Parkinson's disease by allowing drugs to access the brain.
- Parkinson's: New gene therapy shows promise for prevention June 7, 2019
Researchers from Japan have tested a new gene therapy against Parkinson's disease using mouse models. Their results suggest that the approach is effective.
- Bipolar disorder may increase risk of Parkinson's May 28, 2019
A recent study concludes that experiencing bipolar disorder during adulthood increases the risk of developing Parkinson’s disease later in life.
- Using EEG data to diagnose Parkinson's disease May 27, 2019
A team of researchers behind a new study believe that an EEG could be a noninvasive and affordable way to detect Parkinson’s disease.
- Study finds evidence of 'clear relationship' between appendectomy and Parkinson's May 10, 2019
A study of 62 million people in the United States finds that those who have had their appendix removed are more likely to develop Parkinson's disease.
- Can a blood pressure drug protect the brain from Parkinson's? April 23, 2019
At blood levels that are typical in humans, an approved high blood pressure drug was able to clear toxic proteins of Parkinson's disease from mouse brains.
- Do people with Parkinson's disease smell different? March 21, 2019
With the help of a 'super smeller,' researchers conclude that those with Parkinson's disease smell subtly different. The results may aid earlier diagnosis.
- Manganese and Parkinson's: Mechanism may explain link March 15, 2019
New research discovers a mechanism that may explain why exposure to manganese induces Parkinson's symptoms. The findings may aid diagnosis and treatment.
- Parkinson's: Study reveals how cancer drug reduces toxic protein in brain March 13, 2019
An analysis of trial results reveals the mechanism through which the cancer drug nilotinib increases brain dopamine in people with Parkinson's disease.
- This sleep disorder puts people at 'very high risk' of Parkinson's March 6, 2019
A large study found that those who experience a certain sleep disorder are also at high risk of Parkinson's disease, but this knowledge can aid prevention.
- How does exercise impact cognitive function in Parkinson's? March 5, 2019
A recent systematic review suggests that exercise improves not only motor function in people with Parkinson's disease, but also their memory.
- New treatment under trial could restore brain cells in Parkinson's February 27, 2019
A series of clinical trials have concluded that a new therapy, alongside a novel method of delivery, could be effective in treating Parkinson's disease.
- Parkinson's: How stem cells can help repair the brain February 18, 2019
A new review examines the past, present, and future of stem cell therapy for replacing damaged brain cells in Parkinson's disease.